If you've registered your own, or your child's, change of name since 1 April 1996, and you'd like a replacement change of name certificate, you can apply to the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, online.

If you changed your name by Deed Poll prior to the above date, call 13 77 88.


  • If you're the person named on the certificate, the replacement certificate can be issued to you.
  • If you're the parent of a child over the age of 18, you're entitled to the replacement certificate if you applied for the original change of name.
  • If you meet the above criteria, you must provide:
    • 3 copies of your own identification.
  • If you DO NOT meet the above criteria, you must provide:
    • a letter of authority
    • 3 copies of identification from the subject or next of kin
    • 3 copies of your own identification.
  • If you're a solicitor applying for a certificate on behalf of your client, you must provide:
    • a letter on company letterhead stating the reason required ('legal' is not sufficient; a specific reason is needed, such as passport application), together with the name of your client
    • a copy of your Law Society ID Card or Practising Certificate
    • payment made with a company or trust cheque, or company credit card.

What you need

  • the change of name details
  • your/the applicant's personal and contact details
  • personal identity documents as specified on the form
  • a scanner or phone/tablet camera so you'll be able to upload copies of the documentation required
  • company documents (if applicable)
  • evidence you have permission to be provided with the replacement change of name certificate (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Enter the change of name details.
  4. Enter your/applicant's details.
  5. Verify you're not a robot with reCAPTCHA.
  6. Enter the number of certificates you require.
  7. Confirm your delivery and order details.
  8. Select and upload copies of all the required identification documents.
  9. Read and acknowledge the declaration.
  10. Enter your payment information.
  11. Submit your application for processing.

If you don't wish to apply online:

  1. Download and complete Replacement Change of Name Certificate Application – PDF.
  2. Lodge it with the required documentation and payment using the details on the form.

More information

  • If you begin filling in the online application form and want to save it to complete later, it's a simple step to resume your application
  • You're able to check the status of your application online.
  • Make sure that the copies of the documents you have scanned or photographed are clear and easy to read. The file types can be TIFs, JPGs or PDFs (no spaces or dashes in the filename).
  • On successful receipt of your application form and payment you'll be sent a tax invoice to the email address you provided. You also have the option to print the summary page, or your entire application form.
  • Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
  • Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
  • If you'd like your certificate to be sent to an Australian passport office, consulate or embassy, you'll need to make that request at the same time as your application, as this cannot be done later. Please include a request letter if mailing your application.
  • Make sure that you indicate which destination office you want the certificate sent to.
  • Certificates are not sent to foreign embassies, work email numbers or personal email numbers.
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
  • Do not laminate your certificates. Identity documents must be kept in their original state to be accepted by government agencies.


This information is being collected by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages for the purpose of assessing your application for a replacement certificate.

Service NSW does not collect or maintain any personal information in relation to this transaction.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 28 November 2023

Rate the information on the page