A principal certifier (PC) needs to be appointed by the property owner before starting approved building or construction work. The PC will oversee the construction work, complete mandatory inspections and issue final occupation certificates.

If you need to replace an appointed PC during the project, there are 2 options:

  1. Make a new agreement between the property owner, current PC and proposed new PC. The new PC will need to notify the local council within 2 days of being appointed, by lodging a Notice to appoint a replacement principal certifier (PC) form.
  2. If you're not able to come to an agreement to appoint a new PC, the property owner can apply to NSW Fair Trading to change the PC by completing an Application to replace a principal certifier (PC) – PDF.

Visit the NSW Fair Trading website for more information on engaging a PC. 

Last updated: 7 November 2023

Rate the information on the page