Before you can start any approved building or construction work, you must find and appoint a principal certifier (PC).

The principal certifier can be:

  • a registered building surveyor
  • your local council or
  • a registered body corporate (certification company).

The principal certifier:

  • carries out mandatory building inspections during the construction period 
  • issues the development certificate when all requirements are met.

You can find accredited certifiers, authorised to operate as a principal certifier: 

More information

  • You do not have to appoint a certifier suggested by your builder. You can choose who you’ll engage as a certifier.
  • Certifiers are categorised according to their expertise, qualifications and experience. You may need more than one type of certifier.
Last updated: 7 November 2023

Rate the information on the page