Before you can start any approved building or construction work, you must find and appoint a principal certifier (PC).
The principal certifier can be:
- a registered building surveyor
- your local council or
- a registered body corporate (certification company).
The principal certifier:
- carries out mandatory building inspections during the construction period
- issues the development certificate when all requirements are met.
You can find accredited certifiers, authorised to operate as a principal certifier:
- You do not have to appoint a certifier suggested by your builder. You can choose who you’ll engage as a certifier.
- Certifiers are categorised according to their expertise, qualifications and experience. You may need more than one type of certifier.