If your NSW driver licence card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, and you meet certain eligibility criteria, you can order a replacement online using your MyServiceNSW Account.
When you replace your licence, your driver licence number remains the same but your card number changes. This protects you from unauthorised Document Verification Service checks using the old card's information.
Note: If you'd like to apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time, or you don't meet the eligibility requirements, visit a service centre and replace your licence card in person.
You're not eligible to order a replacement online and will need to visit a service centre to replace your licence, if any of the following apply:
- you've changed your address within the last 14 days
- you've ordered a replacement licence online in the last 12 months
- you'd like to apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time.
You're not eligible for a replacement driver licence if any of the following apply:
- you've been prohibited from driving a motor vehicle or riding a motorcycle in NSW or elsewhere since last obtaining your licence
- your licence has been disqualified, cancelled, suspended or expired or there are charges pending against you
- you're subject to an appeal for driving or riding offences.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account. If your account is new or you haven't previously entered them, you'll also need:
- your NSW driver licence details, or
- the plate number of a vehicle registered in your name.
- your method of payment.
How to replace
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Replace online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account. Enter your NSW driver licence or vehicle registration details if your account is new or you haven't previously entered them.
- Select your replacement details.
- Answer the declaration questions.
- Review and submit your declaration.
- Check and confirm your replacement details.
- Enter your payment details.
- Print your receipt and your temporary paper licence (also known as a driver licence receipt).
- Sign your temporary paper licence and carry it with you at all times when driving.
- Your new NSW driver licence card will be posted to you at the mailing address on record with Transport for NSW. You should receive it within 10 business days.
- The Document Verification Service (DVS) checks whether the information on your identity documents match the original records. The DVS is used by government organisations and large private organisations such as banks to verify a customer's identity.
- If you haven’t received your new licence card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- If your temporary paper licence is lost, stolen or damaged before you receive your new card, you can get a copy of it online – visit Reprint a NSW driver licence receipt.