COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


A principal certifying authority (PCA) needs to be appointed by the property owner before starting approved building or construction work. The PCA will oversee the construction work, complete mandatory inspections, and issue final occupation certificates.

If you need to replace an appointed PCA during the project, there are 2 options:

  1. Make a new agreement between the property owner, current PCA and proposed new PCA. The new PCA will need to notify the local council within 2 days of being appointed, by lodging a Notice of new PCA form
  2. If you're not able to come to an agreement to appoint a new PCA, the property owner can apply to the Building Professionals Board to change the PCA, by completing an Application to replace a PCA – PDF

Visit the Fair Trading website for more information on engaging a PCA. 

You'll be taken to another website.