If you live in NSW and hold an Australian Defence Force (ADF) driver or rider licence, you can only use that licence while performing your duties. When driving/riding for other purposes, you'll need to apply for a NSW driver/rider licence.
Before you apply, you'll need to ask the relevant ADF authority to fax verification of your defence force licence to your preferred service centre. You can then attend the service centre to transfer your licence to an equivalent NSW licence.
What you need
How to transfer
- Request the relevant ADF authority to fax verification of your defence force licence to your preferred service centre.
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (glasses/contact lenses).
- Visit the relevant service centre and submit your application.
- You have 30 days to visit a service centre after the ADF has faxed your licence verification. After that time, the fax may be destroyed.
- Interstate ADF personnel and their dependants, can use their interstate driver licence until it expires, but must carry their defence force issued driver ID with them at all times.
- Overseas defence force personnel, and their dependants, can drive without a NSW driver licence, providing they carry their current overseas driver licence or International Driving Permit (IDP) with them at all times.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost, generally within 5 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 days, contact Transport for NSW (TfNSW) on 13 22 13.
- Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the TfNSW website.