COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you've bought a business that has a commercial mooring licence, and you want to transfer the licence to your name, you'll need to lodge an application with Transport for NSW. Transfer is subject to statutory authority approvals.


The buyer of a business holding a commercial mooring licence that:

  • provides approved marine type services to the boating public, or
  • can only be accessed by water.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Application for Initial or Transfer of a Commercial Mooring Licence'
  • the organisation's details including contact numbers and business address (PO box is not acceptable)
  • written authorisation of the nominated representative on business letterhead
  • the nominated representative's personal and contact details including residential address (PO box is not acceptable)
  • proof of identity for the business entity
  • proof of identity for the nominated representative
  • the Relinquishment of Commercial Mooring section of the form signed by the previous licence holder
  • a detailed description of the proposed usage of the mooring site and the associated shore based facilities, on business letterhead, together with any supporting documentation
  • an authorised signatory as specified on the form (if applicable).

How to transfer

  1. Download, complete, print and sign the Application for Initial or Transfer of a Commercial Mooring Licence – PDF
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or post it to:

    Maritime Product Services
    Locked Bag 5100
    Camperdown NSW 1450

More information

  • Commercial mooring licence transfer applications are subject to approval by Transport for NSW. Once your application has been assessed, they'll let you know the outcome.
  • Licence fees are payable when the licence is issued, and Transport for NSW will contact you regarding your payment options.
  • Any costs associated with the purchase, installation and servicing of mooring apparatus are your responsibility.