Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


If you move to NSW from another state, you can only drive on an interstate licence for the first 3 months. After that period, you'll need to visit a service centre and apply for a NSW driver licence.

Your probationary licence will be transferred to a licence of the same class with a mandatory good behaviour period provision.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • evidence of the first issue date of your interstate licence
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Licence Application'
    • 'Good Behaviour Election/Acknowledgement'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.