If you've moved to NSW from another Australian state or territory, you can only drive in NSW on an interstate licence for 3 months. After that period you'll need to visit a Service NSW Centre and apply to transfer your licence to a NSW driver licence.

Sometimes interstate checks need to be made so allow plenty of time for a transfer to be processed.

There's no fee to transfer a current unrestricted or provisional licence. If your licence has expired, or is just about to, a fee will be charged. 

Note that drivers 75 years or older are required to undergo a medical review, and may have to take a practical driving test.

What you need

  • your interstate or territory licence
  • your proof of identity
  • your medical report (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to transfer

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all your documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and provide the information in person.

More information

  • If you've moved from NSW and are now living interstate, you may need to apply to transfer your NSW driver licence to the state or territory you’ve moved to. Visit that state or territory’s government website for more information.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 30 November 2023

Rate the information on the page