When you buy a vessel, you need to transfer its registration into your name within 14 days of the date of purchase, or a late application fee will be charged. You can post the transfer documentation, or book an appointment to submit it in person at a service centre.Book an appointment
Transfer a vessel's registration
- your proof of identity
- if the HIN is not recorded on the front of the registration certificate, the HIN (Boatcode) Certificate
- the registration certificate with the Transfer of Vessel Registration section on the back of the form completed and signed by the seller, and the buyer section completed and signed by the buyer.
In addition, if the registration certificate sections are incomplete, you'll need:
- supporting documents to prove acquisition of the vessel
- the PDF form – 'Application for Transfer of Vessel Registration'.
- Download and complete the Application for Transfer of Vessel Registration – PDF (if applicable).
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button, schedule a time at your chosen service centre to submit your application, or alternatively post it to:
Agency Business Centre
Roads and Maritime Services
PO Box 21
Parkes NSW 2870
For online transactions:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).
For phone transactions:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
For transactions in person at a service centre:
- cash (in Australian currency)
- cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
- money order
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
- Android Pay app.
Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.
* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.