If you're looking to spend some recreation time in NSW state forests, you can search for activities and recreational facilities online at the Forestry Corporation of NSW website.

Before you visit

Make sure to read advice on:

You should also check the Rural Fire Service website for information about total fire bans.

Check if you need a permit

  • Fishing on public land requires a recreational fishing permit
  • Bulk firewood collection will require a firewood collection permit.
  • Authorised hunting for feral animals such as pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits and wild deer is only allowed at sites specifically declared and open for hunting. Hunters must have a valid licence and written permission and are limited to specific areas of the forest. All other recreational users are still permitted to visit public lands declared and open for hunting, unless a forest has been closed. Read more about applying for a hunting licence.
  • Many organised activities in state forests require a permit.

Camping and picnics

Camping is permitted in all state forests (except for Cumberland and Strickland State forests). Camping is generally not permitted in picnic areas. Exceptions are rest areas in places where major highways pass through state forests.

Last updated: 29 February 2024