The Digital Driver Licence is the electronic version of the NSW Driver Licence available on your smartphone. As a licence checker, you will get real-time customer information, such as change of address updates, and if you require extra reassurance beyond a visual check, you can easily scan the Digital Driver Licence via the verification feature in the free Service NSW app.
The Digital Driver Licence trial
All NSW Driver Licence holders who live in the trial areas will be invited to take part in the trial. To participate, motorists will be required to download the Digital Driver Licence on their smartphone and show it when they need to demonstrate that they hold a valid driver licence, or to prove their identity or age.
Service NSW invites the following types of businesses, in the nominated postcodes, to join the trial as licence checkers:
- licensed venues such as bars, pubs nightclubs and restaurants
- registered clubs
- vehicle hire companies
- convenience stores
- tobacco retailers.
Other industries, businesses and government agencies may see the Digital Driver Licence. Prior to accepting the Digital Driver Licence, please consult with your organisation’s management, regulator and/or industry association. They can advise on whether there are any specific regulations prohibiting you from accepting the Digital Driver Licence.
Service NSW advises that if you choose to accept the Digital Driver Licence you are required to review the resource materials to ensure you know how to accurately check a digital licence.
Registered clubs can accept the Digital Driver Licence as proof of identity and age. Trial participants can sign in to a registered club with their Digital Driver Licence through the 'Sign in to a venue' feature in the app. Please speak to your club software vendor to begin accepting the Digital Driver Licence at your club.
Refer to How to sign in to a venue - PDF for a step-by-step guide.
Have your say
During the trial, you will be invited to provide your feedback and share your experience checking the Digital Driver Licence. Woolcott Research and Engagement will be coordinating the feedback process.
How to visually check the DDL
All licence checkers need to know how to identify a Digital Driver Licence before starting to accept it. It contains multiple features which confirm it is authentic and current, reducing the risk of identity fraud.
- Animated NSW Government logo.
- Last refreshed time - ask the customer to swipe down to refresh licence information.
- Green tick indicates valid licence.
- QR code expires and reloads.
- Waratah hologram moves when phone is tilted.
- Watermark matching licence photo.
- Address details (scrolling is not always required to view address).
Checkers have 2 options to verify a Digital Driver Licence after a visual check:
- Ask the customer to swipe down the digital licence to update the last refreshed time.
- Scan the QR code using the licence scanner available in the Service NSW app on your smartphone.
Download the Service NSW app to get the licence scanner.
Avoid handling a customer’s phone. If you have difficulty viewing or scanning, ask the customer to adjust the phone to make checking easier.
If you are having an issue verifying the authenticity of the Digital Driver Licence, ask for the plastic card.
Copying a licence
If you need a copy of a holder’s licence, follow your existing process using the plastic card. Do not take a screenshot of the Digital Driver Licence.
Sydney's Eastern Suburbs
- 2022 – Bondi Junction
- 2024 – Bronte
- 2026 – Bondi
- 2031 – Randwick/Clovelly
- 2034 – Coogee
- 2818 – Geurie
- 2820 – Wellington
- 2821 – Narromine
- 2822 – Eumungerie
- 2830 – Dubbo
- 2868 – Yeoval
- How to check and verify the Digital Driver Licence – PDF
- How to check and verify the Digital Driver Licence (Arabic) – PDF
- How to check and verify the Digital Driver Licence (Chinese Simplified) – PDF
- How to check and verify the Digital Driver Licence (Chinese Traditional) – PDF
- How to check and verify the Digital Driver Licence (Vietnamese) – PDF
- How to sign in to a venue - PDF
- 'Digital Driver Licence accepted here' poster (Eastern Beaches) – PDF
- 'Digital Driver Licence accepted here' poster (Albury) – PDF
- 'Digital Driver Licence accepted here' poster (Dubbo) – PDF
If you have any questions, feedback or would like to discuss the Digital Driver Licence further, please contact us.