The NSW Digital Driver Licence is the digital version of the NSW Driver Licence available through the Service NSW app.
It can be accepted wherever a plastic driver licence can be used in NSW and is broadly accepted interstate.
As a licence checker, you'll get real-time customer information, such as change of address updates, and if you require extra reassurance beyond a visual check, you can easily scan the digital driver licence via the verification feature in the free Service NSW app.
NSW Digital Driver Licence
Drivers can use their NSW Digital Driver Licence when they need to demonstrate that they hold a valid driver licence, or to prove their identity or age.
More industries and businesses can now accept the NSW Digital Driver Licence as evidence of permission to drive, proof of age and identity.
The following types of businesses are able to accept the digital driver licence:
- licensed venues such as bars, pubs, nightclubs and restaurants
- petrol stations
- convenience stores
- tobacco retailers
- pawnbrokers/second-hand dealers.
Licence checkers must refer to the resource materials to ensure they know how to accurately check a digital driver licence.
Members, guests and visitors can use the digital driver licence to sign in to selected registered clubs by scanning the venue’s QR code upon entry. Please speak to your club software vendor to begin accepting the digital driver licence at your club.
How to visually check the NSW Digital Driver Licence
All licence checkers need to know how to identify a NSW Digital Driver Licence before starting to accept it. It contains multiple features which confirm it is authentic and current, reducing the risk of identity fraud.
Licence holders can choose to display their Digital Driver Licence in the default light mode or optional dark mode. Dark mode is commonly used at night or in low-light environments to reduce eye strain and make it easier to view a screen.
- Animated NSW Government logo.
- Last refreshed date and time.
- QR code expires and reloads.
- Waratah hologram moves when phone is tilted.
- Watermark matches the licence photo.
- Address details (scrolling is not always required to view address).
Refer to How to check the NSW Digital Driver Licence – PDF for all licence statuses, including under 18, suspended and expired.
Checkers have 2 options to verify a NSW Digital Driver Licence:
- Ask the customer to swipe down the digital driver licence to update the last refreshed time.
- Scan the QR code using the licence scanner available in the Service NSW app on your smartphone.
Avoid handling a customer’s phone. If you have difficulty viewing or scanning, ask the customer to adjust the phone to make checking easier.
If you're having an issue verifying the authenticity of the digital driver licence, ask for the plastic card or follow your organisation's procedures.
Copying a licence
If you need a copy of a holder’s licence, request the plastic driver licence and follow your existing process to take a copy. Accepting a screenshot or copy of the NSW Digital Driver Licence is not recommended.
The Digital Driver Licence contains multiple features which confirm it is authentic and current, therefore reducing the risk of identity fraud. Licence holders can choose to display their Digital Driver Licence in the default light mode or optional dark mode. To ensure you are viewing the most current licence information, ask the customer to swipe down to refresh their licence.
Dark mode is commonly used at night or in low-light environments to reduce eye strain and make it easier to view a screen. This option ensures checkers can quickly and safely conduct visual checks whilst scanning QR codes on NSW digital licences.
- How to check the NSW Digital Driver Licence – PDF
- How to verify the NSW Digital Driver Licence – PDF
- How to sign in to a venue – PDF
Posters and stickers
- 'Digital Driver Licence is accepted here' poster – PDF
- You can pick up a point of sale sticker with the words “Digital Driver Licence is accepted here” from your local Service NSW Centre.
How to visually verify the NSW Digital Driver Licence
How to scan the NSW Digital Driver Licence
If you have any questions, feedback or would like to discuss the NSW Digital Driver Licence further, please contact us.