Before you start selling tobacco, non-tobacco smoking products or e-cigarettes, the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2008 requires businesses to notify NSW Health by applying for a retailer identification number (RIN).
You can apply for a RIN online.
- any business that sells tobacco, non-tobacco smoking products or e-cigarettes must notify NSW Health before commencing operations. Businesses include:
- retail shops such as tobacconists, general grocers, convenience stores, petrol stations
- licensed premises that sell tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes over the counter or have a vending machine that does
- suppliers of tobacco or e-cigarette vending machines.
- authorised inspectors can issue on-the-spot fines to a business for not notifying NSW Health.
What you need
- director(s) and/or business owner(s) personal and contact details
- company/business address
- address(s) of the premises where the tobacco/e-cigarettes will be sold
- name and details of a contact person.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Select 'Start'.
- Log in or create an account.
- Complete the online application form.
- Read and confirm the declaration.
Last updated: 10 December 2019