If you have a boat licence and a driver licence, you can apply to combine the two licences onto one card. There is no change to the way each of the licences is obtained or maintained.
The combined licence looks like a NSW Driver Licence, with an indicator on the reverse side of the card that shows the licence holder also has a NSW boat licence.
You can only apply for a combined licence at the time of your driver licence renewal.
You need to meet all of the following criteria:
- you hold an unrestricted driver licence of any class (including rider, heavy vehicle)
- your driver licence is due or eligible for renewal
- the name and date of birth on your driver licence and boat licence match
- your driver licence and boat licence (including personal watercraft) are current, or not expired more than 5 years.
You're not eligible for a combined licence if:
- you hold a young adult general boat or young adult personal watercraft licence, or a gratis boat licence.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Transport for NSW.
What you need
- an eligible driver licence
- an eligible boat licence
- a satisfactory medical report (if required)
- the PDF form – 'Licence Renewal Application'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Renewal Application – PDF.
- Gather all the necessary documents.
- Visit your nearest service centre and submit your application.
- You must agree to align your boat licence expiry date with your driver licence expiry date, and pay the necessary fees.
- Your driver licence renewal period must have an expiry date that is greater than your current boat licence expiry date (boat licence expiry dates can only be extended, not reduced).
- There's no additional fee for the combined licence.
- You can opt out of your combined licence at any time, and your driver licence and boat licence will be reprinted at no cost.
- If you surrender your licence voluntarily, you'll receive a pro rata refund of both, or either, licence components.
- You'll get a renewal notice for your combined licence about 6 weeks before it's due to expire.
- You can renew your combined licence at a service centre.