Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


If you want to teach another person to drive in return for money or reward, you need to hold a driving instructor’s licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks, an instructor training course and a final assessment.

The first step is to submit the driving instructor's licence application form, and you can do this at a service centre.


You must:

  • be aged 21 years or older
  • hold a current Australian driver licence
  • have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
  • hold a WWCC number.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the application form
  • eye specialist or optometrist's report (if applicable)
  • your driver licence
  • your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number
  • if you haven't held a driver licence in NSW for more than 3 years, you'll also need a driving record/history from the state or country where you previously held your licence
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
  • 4 passport size photographs
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992'.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don't sign it until you visit a service centre.
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • The application form requires your signature to be witnessed, so don't sign it until you attend the service centre.
  • You can apply for more than one instructor's licence type (car, light rigid, heavy rigid, etc), as long as you've held an unrestricted equivalent class of licence for at least 3 of the last 4 years.
  • Heavy vehicle driving instructors may not need a WWCC if their instructor's licence is to be endorsed with the condition 'May not instruct C licences'.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.