The Working with Children Check (WWCC) is a requirement for anyone who works or volunteers in child-related work in NSW. It involves a National Police Check (criminal history record check) and a review of reportable workplace misconduct.

Results of a National Police Check can take up to 4 weeks to be received.

The outcome of a check is either a clearance to work with children or a bar against working with children. If cleared, the check will be valid for 5 years, however applicants are continuously monitored.

If you're applying because you're a paid employee or self-employed, there's a fee for the WWCC. If you're a volunteer, a student on a professional placement, potential adoptive parents or an authorised carer, you won't need to pay the fee.


You must be aged 18 or older.

What you need

At least one of your documents must contain your signature and photo

Your POI documents must be current and original.

The following documents are not acceptable:

  • original paper documents that have been laminated 
  • photos, photocopies or certified copies
  • expired documents (unless specified).


How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Complete the online form ensuring the name you enter matches your identity documents exactly.
  3. Visit a Service NSW Centre to present your original identity documents and (if applicable) pay the fee.

Note: Once you've provided your identity documents at the service centre, the National Police Criminal History check begins. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

More information

  • Unless you're staying at an overnight camp, you don't need a WWCC if you're a parent or close relative of a child, volunteering:
    • at the child's school, early education service or other educational institution, or
    • with a team, program or activity that your child usually participates in or is a team member of.
  • You're also exempt if your work is considered non-child related, such as:
    • a student working in a clinical placement in a hospital or other health service
    • a referee, umpire, linesperson or other sporting official or groundsperson, if the work doesn't ordinarily involve contact with children for extended periods without other adults present
    • providing food or equipment at a sporting, cultural or other entertainment venue.
  • If you'd like help with your application, contact the Office of the Children's Guardian.
Last updated: 24 April 2024

Rate the information on the page