If you want to teach another person to drive in return for money or reward, you need to hold a driving instructor's licence and a Working With Children Check (WWCC) number. If you hold a current driving instructor's authorisation issued in another state or territory, you can apply for a NSW driving instructor's licence without the need for additional training.
You can apply for this licence at a service centre.
Holders of a:
- current driving instructor's authorisation issued in another state or territory
- WWCC number.
What you need
How to apply
- Download and complete the Notice for Registration of Equivalent Occupation Driving Instructor's Licence – PDF.
- Make sure you have all your documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- Heavy vehicle driving instructors may not need a WWCC if their instructor's licence is endorsed with the condition 'May not instruct C licences'.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date giving you plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.