You can swap number plates with a family member, a company, an employee or deceased estate. The vehicles must be registered and of the same type (such as a car).
You can apply to swap plates at a service centre.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Exchange/Transfer Number Plates' (including details of both parties)
- your proof of identity
- registration certificates for both vehicles (if possible)
- a letter of authorisation from a company (if a company and an employee are swapping)
- a letter of authorisation from each company (if two companies are swapping)
- a copy of a court order or Will (if the swap involves a deceased estate).
How to apply
- Download and complete the Exchange/Transfer Number Plates – PDF.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
You don't own the number plates – they always remain the property of Roads and Maritime.