You can swap number plates with a family member, a company, an employee or deceased estate. The vehicles must be registered and of the same type (such as a car).

You can apply to swap plates at a service centre.

Conditions apply if you're wanting to transfer special number plates (SNPs) and numeral-only or personalised-plus plates.

What you'll need

  • the PDF form – 'Exchange/Transfer Number Plates' (including details of both parties)
  • your proof of identity
  • registration certificates for both vehicles (if possible)
  • a letter of authorisation from a company (if a company and an employee are swapping) 
  • a letter of authorisation from each company (if two companies are swapping) 
  • a copy of a court order or Will (if the swap involves a deceased estate).

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Exchange/Transfer Number Plates – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

Things to keep in mind...

You don't own the number plates – they always remain the property of Roads and Maritime.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.