You can exchange number plates between 2 currently registered vehicles, without changing the registered operators of the vehicles.
If either set of plates being exchanged are subject to a special number plates (SNP) agreement, the exchange transfers all rights and obligations under that agreement to the customer receiving the SNPs.
This may include the activation of an annual fee for personalised plates bought prior to September 2003 that do not currently attract an annual fee.
Conditions apply if you're wanting to transfer special number plates (SNPs), numeral-only, or personalised plates.
Note: Reserved plates cannot be exchanged. The plates must be issued to a vehicle before they can be exchanged.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Exchange/Transfer Number Plates' (including details of both parties)
- your proof of identity
- registration certificates for both vehicles (if possible)
- a letter of authorisation from a company (if a company and an employee are swapping)
- a letter of authorisation from each company (if two companies are swapping)
- a copy of a court order or Will (if the swap involves a deceased estate).
How to apply
- Download and complete the Exchange/Transfer Number Plates – PDF.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- You don't own the number plates – they always remain the property of Transport for NSW.
- There are some instances where plates are not eligible for exchange. Contact us on 13 77 88 to confirm that the 2 sets of plates you want to exchange are eligible.