You must hold a licence with the NSW Food Authority if your business distributes and/or transports:
- milk or dairy products
- plant products
You can apply and pay for a licence online. To apply for more than 5 vehicles, you'll need to submit a printed application form – PDF to the NSW Food Authority.
What you'll need
- your personal and contact details
- the certificate of registration of your business name issued by Fair Trading NSW or ASIC
- the ASIC company statement showing name/s of the director/s (if applicable)
- the certificate of incorporation (if applicable)
- documentation showing that you've completed an approved food hygiene course in the last 5 years (if applicable)
- your payment (as indicated on the form).
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Complete the online eligibility screen and if your business is eligible, continue to application screens.
- Complete the applicant details, facilities and consents and declaration screens.
- Review charges and proceed to payment options.
- Submit your application.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete the Application of a Licence for a Food Transport Business for Dairy/Meat/Plant Products/ Seafood/Eggs and Egg Related Products Form – PDF.
- Gather the required documents.
- Submit your application with payment by mail, fax or email, to the details on the form.
Things to keep in mind...
- You only pay one licence fee if you're applying for 5 or more vehicles at the same time.
- You’ll be notified of processing times within 10 working days.
- After submitting your application, you’ll need to undergo an audit or inspection.
- You must not start business operations until your application has been processed.
- Businesses licensed with the NSW Food Authority must comply with the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2015 and the Food Standards Code.
- A licence can't be transferred.