To drive a public passenger bus or coach that seats 13 or more people, you need to have a bus driver authority from Transport for NSW (TfNSW).
To determine your eligibility for an authority, and assess your application, TfNSW requires specific documentation from you before you apply, otherwise the processing of your application could be slowed down.
You can apply for a bus driver authority online.
You must be:
- aged 20 years or over, and have held a full (unrestricted) Australian driver licence for 12 months in the last 2 years, or
- aged 25 years or over, and have held for at least 3 of the last 4 years:
- a current Australian driver licence (not including a learner licence), or
- a nationally recognised overseas driver licence
- a safe driver (TfNSW will assess your driving record when processing your application)
- medically fit to drive
- a fit and proper person to hold a bus driver authority – PDF
If you hold an interstate bus driver authority, you may be able to:
- apply for a Bus Driver Authority under Mutual Recognition, or
- work temporarily in NSW under Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR).
Holders of a New Zealand (NZ) bus driver authority may be able to apply for a Bus Driver Authority under Mutual Recognition.
What you need
- a commercial medical assessment (completed no more than 6 months prior)
It is most important that your doctor:
- submits your assessment online directly to TfNSW
- selects the option that the assessment is for the purpose of driving public passenger vehicles.
This will prioritise your assessment and enable you to automatically proceed with your application.
- a National Police check issued no more than 3 months prior to this application
Note: If you cannot arrange a police check, TfNSW will send you a one-time link that will enable them to complete the police check on your behalf.
evidence you have successfully completed the required bus driver training course
Note: You can submit your application before you complete the course, but TfNSW will not issue your bus driver authority until they receive this evidence.
- a copy of your driver licence front and back (scanned as a PDF)
Note: If you do not have a valid NSW driver licence you'll need to upload a digital photo of yourself
- a secondary proof of identity document (if you hold an interstate driver licence)
- if you have held an interstate or overseas driver licence in the last 5 years, you'll need a copy of your licence history and traffic record from the relevant authority, for each licence held.
Note: Documents not in English must be accompanied by a certified copy of an official English translation from Multicultural NSW.
- a valid email address (to receive your confirmation email).
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
Note: You cannot save and resume your application once you have started.
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload your documentation.
- Submit your application.
You'll receive a confirmation message via email. If you do not receive the email within 30 minutes call (02) 8848 8700.
Once TfNSW receive your application, they will respond within 10 working days. If you have not had a response in that time, call (02) 8848 8700.
As part of efforts to boost bus driver numbers in NSW, the NSW Government has introduced a $70 fee waiver for those applying for their bus driver authority.
The waiver ends on 31 July 2024.