If your organisation or partnership wants to contract, sub-contract and/or advertise to carry out residential building or trade work, you'll need a contractor licence.

When you apply for a contractor licence you're required to identify a nominated supervisor.

The nominated supervisor must hold an individual contractor licence or qualified supervisor licence, and be:

  • a full-time employee or a director of the company, or
  • a partner or employee of the partnership.

You can apply for your contractor licence online, if you have an Australian Business Number (ABN).

If you don't have an ABN, please book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • a current Australian identity document, such as driver licence, passport, Medicare card, to verify your identity documents
  • the company or partnership's ABN
  • contractor licence number if the company/partnership has a current or expired licence
  • nominated supervisor details, including licence or certificate number, for each category of work being applied for
  • your payment.

How to apply

Apply online

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  3. Complete each section of the application. You'll be asked to: 
    • verify your Australian identity document
    • enter the ABN and confirm the details pre-populated with ASIC information
    • enter an existing contractor licence number (if applicable)
    • answer some questions related to your personal financial and criminal history
    • select the categories of work to be carried out, and provide the nominated supervisor's licence or certificate number
    • download the documents that are generated based on your responses
    • get the documents signed by the relevant party
    • scan and attach the signed documents and other required documents
    • read and accept declaration statements
    • enter your payment details.

Apply in person

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Gather the required supporting documentation.
  3. Book an appointment to attend a service centre and submit your application. 

Note: Your application may take longer to assess if there is missing or incomplete information.

More information

You need a medical gas licence to do any medical gas work in NSW, regardless of the work cost or whether it's residential, commercial or industrial.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 2 July 2024

Rate the information on the page