You must hold a licence with the NSW Food Authority if your business distributes and/or transports:

  • milk or dairy products
  • meat
  • plant products
  • seafood
  • eggs.

You can apply and pay for a licence online.

To apply for 5 or more vehicles, you need to submit a printed application form.

Note: You must not start business operations until you have your licence.

What you need

  • ASIC company statement showing the director names (if applicable)
  • confirmation of your registered business name (if applicable)
  • certificate of incorporation (if applicable)
  • vehicle details
  • evidence to show completion of an approved food hygiene course (if applicable)
  • your payment (as shown on the form).

How to apply

  1. Gather the required documents.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Complete the online application form.
  4. Submit your application and payment.

You can save and continue your application later, if needed.

If you're unable to apply online, or if you want to apply for 5 or more vehicles:

  1. Download and complete the Food transport business licence application: dairy, meat, plant products, seafood, eggs and egg related products – PDF.
  2. Gather the required documents.
  3. Submit your application with payment by post or email, to the details on the form.

The NSW Food Authority will review your application within 10 working days.

A licensing assessment will be carried out before a licence is approved.

More information

  • You cannot transfer a licence.
  • To change or cancel a licence, contact the Food Authority Licensing Unit on (02) 6552 3000.
Last updated: 7 December 2023