If you have an unrestricted NSW Driver Licence and you've received a notice of suspension due to excessive demerit points, you may be eligible to elect a 12-month good behaviour period.
You must apply to elect a good behaviour period before your suspension starts.
You can apply online if there are at least 2 business days left before your suspension.
Note: You cannot change your mind and choose the suspension after you've applied for the good behaviour period. Before you apply, make sure you read the conditions.
You're eligible if:
- your suspension letter states you can apply for the good behaviour period
- the suspension period has not started
- you hold at least one unrestricted NSW Driver Licence.
You are not eligible if:
- your suspension letter does not mention the good behaviour period
- you only hold a provisional or learner licence.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account (optional).
- to continue as a guest, you need your plastic NSW Driver Licence card or NSW Photo Card
- your notice of suspension letter.
How to apply
- Read the conditions of the good behaviour period.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, create a MyServiceNSW Account, or continue as a guest.
- Follow the prompts to submit your application.
If your application is successful:
- you'll get a digital receipt straight away
- you'll receive a letter of confirmation in the post within 14 business days
- you can continue to drive as long as you meet the conditions.
If your application is successful, you'll need to meet the conditions of the good behaviour period for 12 months.
- If you need to take a Driver Knowledge Test, the good behaviour period will start after you have passed. If you do not pass before your suspension starts, all your licences will be suspended until you have passed.
- If you get 2 or more demerit points during the 12 months, all your licences will be suspended for double the original suspension period.
- After the 12 months, the demerit points on your suspension notice will be cleared from your licence, unless you:
- get 1 demerit point during the 12 months
- have other points not listed in your suspension notice.
If these points take you over 13 demerit points, you may receive a new suspension notice.