Choose how you will apply

Before you start, check that you are eligible to apply.

If you have all your documents ready (including signatures from all the property owners) and there are no special circumstances, use the online application form.

Go to 'apply online'

If you prefer to apply in person, or you have special circumstances, or you need a permit for a dual occupancy property, you can visit a service centre to apply.

Go to 'apply in person'

Talk to us

You are welcome to call us on 13 77 88 to talk through your application before you apply. We can advise you on the documents, approvals and signatures you'll need to avoid processing delays.

What you need

Get your documentation right

To avoid processing delays, please make sure that:

  • the details on the rates notice matches the owner details on the property title
  • you list all the owners of a property
  • you have approvals and signatures from all the owners.

Apply online

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Answer the eligibility checker questions. If you have trouble with the online form, phone us on 13 77 88 or apply in person.
  3. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  4. Complete each section of the application. Make sure you've included the details and signatures of all the property owners.
  5. Attach your documents.
  6. Submit the application and your payment.

Apply in person

  1. Book an appointment at a service centre.
  2. Download and complete the relevant application form:
  3. Gather copies of your documents. Make sure you've included the details and signatures of all the property owners.
  4. Submit your application at a service centre.

More information

When you need an owner-builder permit

You will need an owner-builder permit when:

  • you want to supervise or do building work worth more than $10,000 on your property
  • you're not contracting a licensed builder to supervise the work.

For detailed information on owner-builder responsibilities visit NSW Fair Trading's Becoming an Owner-Builder.

Type of property

The property you need a permit for must be:

  • a single dwelling-house
  • dual occupancy (such as a semi-detached home)
  • a secondary dwelling.

You cannot apply for a permit if the property is in a multi-dwelling strata complex.


To be eligible to apply for an owner-builder permit you must:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • hold a current general construction induction card (white card)
  • be the owner or joint owner of the land, or
    • be a shareholder in the company that owns the land, or
    • have a minimum 3-year lease on the land registered with NSW Land Registry Services
  • intend to live in the property after the building work is complete, or, in the case of a secondary dwelling being constructed, one of the dwellings
  • have completed the owner-builder approved education requirements or other equivalent accreditation if the cost of building work is $20,000 or more.

Documents you will need to provide

Make sure to include with your application:

  • acceptable documentation showing proof of ownership or long-term lease agreement relating to the land specified in your application, such as:
    • council rates or water rates notice less than one year old
    • Certificate of Title from NSW Land Registry Services
    • solicitor settlement letter showing settlement date (cannot be future dated and must be less than 3 months old)
    • ASIC company extract
    • copy of the lease (minimum 3 years) registered with NSW Land Registry Services.
  • estimated cost of the building work for labour and materials
  • details of the proposed plans
  • the site plan and the measured floor plan documents for development (if the property is a secondary dwelling).
  • approved development consent such as:
  • a current general construction induction card (white card)
  • evidence that you have completed the owner-builder approved education requirements.

Special circumstances

Special circumstances can include:  

  • if you or any other registered parties have held an owner-builder permit within the last 5 years, and/or
  • the type of construction is dual occupancy.

If this is your situation, complete the additional details form and include it with your application.

Last updated: 31 May 2024

Rate the information on the page