You'll need a general construction induction card, commonly called a white card, if any of the following apply:

  • you’re employed to carry out work on a construction site
  • you enter operational construction zones:
    • unaccompanied or not directly supervised by an inducted person, or
    • due to the demands of your employment.
  • you’ve had a white card but haven’t worked in construction for more than 2 years.

Note: A white card can be used in any Australian state or territory.


To hold a white card you must be aged 14 or over.

What you need

  • proof of identity documentation
  • to undertake construction induction training with a registered training organisation (RTO)
  • your payment (the training course fee is set independently by the RTO).

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Find an RTO' button.
  2. Undertake the required training.
  3. When you've successfully completed your training, the RTO will:
    • send your application to SafeWork NSW
    • give you a statement of training that you can use for 60 days until SafeWork NSW sends you your white card.

More information

  • If you have a construction induction card from another Australian state or territory, you can use it in NSW – check to make sure your card is valid.
  • Your white card will usually arrive within 30 days – if it doesn't arrive call 13 10 50.
  • You need to take part in a safety induction each time you work on a new construction site.
  • Always carry your white card with you when you're at work. 
Last updated: 2 February 2024