Text size


An unregistered vehicle permit (UVP) allows you to drive an unregistered vehicle for a specific journey and is only valid for the time required to complete that journey by the most direct route.

A UVP cannot be used as a substitute for full registration.

You'll need to make a 'safe use declaration' when applying for a permit.


Written-off vehicles are not eligible for UVPs.

Visit Transport for NSW for more information on what vehicles and journeys are eligible.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • personal/corporation details including:
    • your driver licence number, or
    • customer number
  • vehicle's details
  • the old number plates, if your vehicle still has them
  • details of the proposed journey
  • an Australian contact address (if you're an overseas or interstate visitor)
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Vehicle Suitable for Safe Use Declaration'
    • 'Application for Unregistered Vehicle Permit'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Make sure you have the required documentation (including your proof of identity) and, if your vehicle still has them, the old number plates.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person.

More information

  • Permits are not issued to cover extra days where a vehicle 'may' be using the roads.
  • If your vehicle still has number plates, you must return them to a service centre when you apply for a UVP.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 7 February 2023