If you intend to get married at a Registry Office, at least a month before the ceremony, you and your partner will be required to arrange an interview and lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage. The Notice remains valid for up to 18 months.
- The marriageable age is 18 years. If a person, not yet 18, wishes to marry prior to their 18th birthday, only a court empowered to give a 'Section 12' order can give authority for the marriage to be solemnised.
- 2 persons aged under 18 years are not permitted to marry each other.
- A Notice of Intended Marriage may be lodged prior to the 18th birthday, as long as the marriage occurs after the birthday.
What you need
- the PDF forms:
- 'Notice of Intended Marriage'
'Registry Marriage & Certificate Application'.
- access to a printer
- your payment
- your personal and contact details
- your original birth certificates, or original passport/s if born overseas. If these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translation service.
- if either party has been previously married, evidence of the termination of the marriage with either an original divorce certificate (if divorced) or an original death certificate (if widowed). Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translation service.
Note: Photocopies of documentation are not accepted.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete:
a. Notice of Intended Marriage – PDF
b. Registry Marriage & Certificate Application – PDF.
- Gather together the necessary documentation.
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
- Enter the required information.
- Attend your selected registry office or your Wollongong Service Centre appointment.
- Lodge your Notice and Application forms with payment, and confirm the date and time for the ceremony.
- A Notice of Intended Marriage is valid for up to 18 months.
- The lodgement fee is non-refundable.
- If you'd like help in planning your Registry wedding ceremony, complete the online Wedding booking form, and the Registry will get in touch with you.