Back to top

If you intend to get married at a Registry Office, at least a month before the ceremony, you and your partner must attend an interview and lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage. The Notice remains valid for up to 18 months.

You can lodge your Notice and attend the interview at either the Chippendale or Parramatta Registry Office (no appointment required).

Alternatively, appointments can be made at the Wollongong Service Centre.

Download PDF form
  • access to a printer
  • your personal and contact details
  • your original birth certificates, or original passport/s if born overseas
  • if either party has been previously married, evidence of the termination of the marriage  
  • your payment
  • the PDF forms:
    • 'Notice of Intended Marriage'
    • 'Registry Marriage & Certificate Application'.

Download PDF form
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button and complete the Notice.
  3. Download and complete Registry Marriage & Certificate Application – PDF.
  4. Gather together the forms and the necessary documentation.
  5. Attend your selected registry office or your Wollongong service centre appointment.
  6. Lodge your Notice with payment, and confirm the date and time for the ceremony.
Download PDF form
  • From 1 August 1991, the marriageable age is 18 years. If a person, not yet 18, wishes to marry prior to their 18th birthday, only a court empowered to give a 'Section 12' order can give authority for this marriage to be solemnised.
  • A Notice of Intended Marriage may be lodged prior to the 18th birthday, as long as the marriage occurs after the birthday.
  • Your original birth certificates, or original passport/s if born overseas. If these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English.
  • If either party has been previously married, you must provide the marriage celebrant with evidence of the termination with either an original divorce certificate (if divorced) or an original death certificate (if widowed). Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translation service.
  • Photocopies are not accepted.
Download PDF form
  • The Notice of Intended Marriage form is valid for up to 18 months.
  • The lodgement fee is non-refundable.
  • Appointments for interviews can be made at the Wollongong Service Centre.
  • No appointment is required if you wish to visit the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry Office at either Chippendale or Parramatta.
  • If you'd like help in planning your Registry wedding ceremony, complete the online Wedding booking form, and the Registry will get in touch with you.
Download PDF form

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: