If you have an unrestricted NSW driver licence and you've received a notice of suspension due to excessive demerit points, you may be eligible to elect a 12-month good behaviour period.
You must apply to elect a good behaviour period before your suspension is due to begin, and once you've applied, you can't withdraw your election.
If you've been notified that you're required to pass a driver knowledge test, your licence will be suspended until you pass the test.
You can apply for a good behaviour period online if there are at least 2 business days left before your suspension is due to begin. If there are fewer than 2 business days remaining, visit a service centre or motor registry with your driver licence and your notice of suspension letter.
- the suspension period hasn't started
- your NSW driver licence is unrestricted.
You can apply online if your notice of suspension letter states that you're eligible to apply online.
What you need
- your NSW driver licence details
- your notice of suspension.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log into your MyServiceNSW Account, sign up now, or continue as a guest. If your account is new or it was not previously connected to Roads, or if you don't have an account, enter your NSW driver licence details.
- Check your details, then enter the notice of suspension letter identification number (found at the top left corner of the notice).
- Read and accept the Declaration and the Terms and Conditions.
- Select 'Submit'.
- If your election is successful, you'll be issued a digital receipt. Print, save or email yourself this receipt, and keep it in a safe place until your formal letter of confirmation arrives in the mail within 14 business days.
- If you accumulate 2 or more demerit points while serving a good behaviour period, your licence will be suspended for double the original suspension period.
- If you choose to elect a good behaviour period, you must apply before the suspension begins. If the election is not made before the required date, then the licence suspension will be enforced.
- Once your suspension period has begun, the notice of suspension cannot be reissued with a new date. You won't be able to change a suspension to a good behaviour period.
- Electing the good behaviour option is not available if you hold a provisional or learner licence, or you're already serving a good behaviour period.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Demerit points at the Transport for NSW website.