If you have an unrestricted NSW driver licence and you've received a notice of suspension due to excessive demerit points, you may be eligible to elect a 12-month good behaviour period.
You must apply to elect a good behaviour period before your suspension is due to begin, and once you've applied, you can't withdraw your election.
If you've been notified that you're required to pass a driver knowledge test, your licence will be suspended until you pass the test.
You can apply for a good behaviour period online if there are at least 2 business days left before your suspension is due to begin. If there are fewer than 2 business days remaining, visit a service centre or motor registry with your driver licence and your notice of suspension letter.
What you'll need
- your NSW driver licence details
- your notice of suspension.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log into your MyServiceNSW Account, sign up now, or continue as a guest. If your account is new or it was not previously connected to Roads and Maritime Services, or if you don't have an account, enter your NSW driver licence details.
- Check your details, then enter the notice of suspension letter identification number (found at the top left corner of the notice).
- Read and accept the Declaration and the Terms and Conditions.
- Select 'Submit'.
- If your election is successful, you'll be issued a digital receipt. Print, save or email yourself this receipt, and keep it in a safe place until your formal letter of confirmation arrives in the mail within 14 business days.
- the suspension period hasn't started
- your NSW driver licence is unrestricted.
You can apply online if your notice of suspension letter states that you're eligible to apply online.
Things to keep in mind...
- If you accumulate 2 or more demerit points while serving a good behaviour period, your licence will be suspended for double the original suspension period.
- If you choose to elect a good behaviour period, you must apply before the suspension begins. If the election is not made before the required date, then the licence suspension will be enforced.
- Once your suspension period has begun, the notice of suspension cannot be reissued with a new date. You won't be able to change a suspension to a good behaviour period.
- Electing the good behaviour option is not available if you hold a provisional or learner licence, or you're already serving a good behaviour period.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Demerit points at the Roads and Maritime Services website.