Back to top

Heavy vehicles must be registered, and this can be done at a service centre. The following types of vehicles are classified as heavy vehicles:

  • vehicles or trailers with a Gross Vehicle Mass greater than 4.5 tonnes
  • buses 2.5 tonnes tare weight and over
  • licensed tow trucks
  • vehicles fitted with power-operated brakes
  • all prime movers.
Find a service centre
  • your proof of identity
  • your Compulsory Third Party certification (green slip)
  • concession details (if applicable)
  • your business details, including representative authority (if required)
  • your driver licence details
  • New Heavy Vehicle Certification form completed by the trailer manufacturer, dealer or distributor, if you have it (trailers only)
  • HVAIS Inspection Certificate
  • Nominated Configuration Code
  • proof of registration entitlement (receipt or proof of previous registration)
  • weighbridge certificate (if vehicle is a trailer with no specification sheet)
  • vehicle compliance certificate (if vehicle has been modified)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.
Find a service centre
  1. Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Gather all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application.
Find a service centre
  • tare weight equals the empty weight of your vehicle (also known as unladen weight)
  • if your vehicle is non-standard, then a vehicle standard exemption permit issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator must also be presented when applying for registration (trailers only)
  • if you have a New Heavy Vehicle Certification form that has been completed by the trailer manufacturer, dealer or distributor, you won't be required to get a vehicle inspection or a weighbridge ticket (trailers only).

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Roads and Maritime Services.

Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: