Heavy vehicles must be registered, and this can be done at a service centre. The following types of vehicles are classified as heavy vehicles:
- vehicles or trailers with a Gross Vehicle Mass greater than 4.5 tonnes
- buses 2.5 tonnes tare weight and over
- licensed tow trucks
- vehicles fitted with power-operated brakes
- all prime movers.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- your Compulsory Third Party certification (green slip)
- concession details (if applicable)
- your business details, including representative authority (if required)
- your driver licence details
- New Heavy Vehicle Certification form completed by the trailer manufacturer, dealer or distributor, if you have it (trailers only)
- HVAIS Inspection Certificate
- Nominated Configuration Code
- proof of registration entitlement (receipt or proof of previous registration)
- weighbridge certificate (if vehicle is a trailer with no specification sheet)
- vehicle compliance certificate (if vehicle has been modified)
- the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.
How to register
- Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
- Gather all the required documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- tare weight equals the empty weight of your vehicle (also known as unladen weight)
- if your vehicle is non-standard, then a vehicle standard exemption permit issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator must also be presented when applying for registration (trailers only)
- if you have a New Heavy Vehicle Certification form that has been completed by the trailer manufacturer, dealer or distributor, you won't be required to get a vehicle inspection or a weighbridge ticket (trailers only).