If you need to re-register a public or heavy vehicle without a Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) inspection, you can do this at a Service NSW Centre.

The HVIS inspection must be conducted within 28 days of re-establishing the registration.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • your business details (if vehicle registered under business)
  • your vehicle registration details
  • proof of previous registration (for example, registration papers in the same registered operator's name)
  • a completed Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme (HVAIS) or Authorised Inspection Scheme (AIS) inspection report (signed and dated within the last 28 days)
  • evidence of compulsory third party (CTP) insurance (green slip)
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'. 

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Complete the form.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a Service NSW Centre and submit your application.

More information

  • For heavy vehicles to be eligible for registration, they must meet all the requirements of either the Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) or the Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme (HVAIS). The scheme your vehicle belongs to will depend on the vehicle type.
  • If registration has lapsed on a public or heavy vehicle, it needs to be renewed within 3 months of the cancellation or expiry date.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 28 November 2023