When your heavy vehicle registration is due for renewal, you will be sent a renewal notice. This notice will tell you what is required for your vehicle to meet the renewal requirements.
Most vehicles will require an inspection, which can be booked online up to 6 months in advance. The results of an inspection are valid for 3 months only.
You can renew a heavy vehicle registration online.
For your heavy vehicle to be eligible for registration renewal, it must meet all the requirements of either the Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) or the Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Scheme (HVAIS). The scheme your vehicle belongs to will depend on the vehicle type.
What you need
- the vehicle's billing number (on your renewal notice, or retrievable when renewing)
- a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance policy, commonly called a green slip, which your insurer will usually send electronically to Transport for NSW (TfNSW)
- HVIS or HVAIS inspection report results – these will be forwarded directly to TfNSW in most cases
- your payment details.
How to renew
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Renew online' button.
- If you have a MyServiceNSW Account, log in, follow the prompts and complete your renewal.
- If you don't have a MyServiceNSW Account, select one of the following:
- 'Use billing number' and enter the billing number on your renewal notice, or
- 'Don't have a billing number?' and retrieve it by entering the vehicle's NSW plate number, and selecting 'Search'.
- Select 'Next'.
- If you have multiple CTP insurance policies (green slips), choose the appropriate policy.
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Choose your payment type and enter your payment details. If you choose BPAY, keep in mind that it takes 2 or 3 business days to process, and the registration will not be renewed until Roads and Maritime receives the full payment.
- Check and confirm the registration renewal.
- Print the receipt, or send it to any email address.
- If you didn't change the term, write the TfNSW receipt number on the vehicle's registration certificate. If you did change the term, a new registration certificate will be mailed to the address of the registered operator within 7 days.
- The results of a Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection are valid for 3 months only. Please schedule inspection and renewal dates accordingly.
- If your renewal can be completed online, the renewal notice will have a billing number. This billing number will be requested as part of the online transaction.
- If your renewal notice does not have a billing number, you will need to visit a service centre to renew the registration on your vehicle.
- Seasonal registration cannot be renewed online. Seasonal registration can only be renewed at a service centre, by mail or by calling 13 77 88.
For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express), or
For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:
- cash (in Australian currency)
- cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
- money order, or
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS).
Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.
* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.