Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

NSW Fair Trading have implemented licensing changes to the real estate and property industry from March 2020. To learn more about the changes visit the Fair Trading website or call 13 32 20.


If you hold an interstate property certificate, you may be eligible to apply for the equivalent in NSW.  

A property certificate of registration lets you work as an assistant agent in:  

  • real estate 
  • strata management or 
  • stock and station. 

This is the starting point to becoming an agent in the real estate and property industry.  

You can submit and pay for your application via email or at a service centre.


Individuals who hold the interstate equivalent of a property certificate of registration. 

If you are not sure what you can apply for, contact NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20.  

What you need

  • the Interstate mutual recognition application form - PDF
  • the Application for Certificate of Registration – PDF
  • your personal and business details 
  • your interstate licence 
  • 2 forms of identification including either: 
    • Australian driver licence 
    • Medicare card 
    • Australian passport 
    • Australian birth certificate 
    • Australian citizenship certificate (issued within the last 10 years) 
    • Australian certificate registration by descent 
    • ImmiCard 
    • Australian travel visa 
  • Unique Student Identifier (USI) number 
  • evidence of your qualifications 
  • the details of your previous certificate of registration or property licence (if applicable) 
  • your payment

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Interstate mutual recognition application form - PDF.
  2. Download and complete the Application for Certificate of Registration – PDF. 
  3. Gather the required documentation.  
  4. To submit your application: 

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

More information

A certificate of registration is only issued for 4 years and cannot be renewed. During this time, you’ll need to:  

  • apply for an individual property licence to continue working in the real estate and property industry  
  • continue professional development, including:  
    • at least 3 units per year from Certificate IV in Real Estate Practice (real estate and stock and station)  
    • at least 3 units from Certificate IV in Strata Community Management (strata management). 
You'll be taken to another website.