If you had to surrender your licence on medical grounds and you're now able to drive again, you can visit a service centre and apply for your licence to be reissued.
What you need
- your licence (if you have it) or proof of identity
- a medical certificate signed by a medical practitioner, demonstrating that you've met the requirements to be reissued with your licence
- the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Make sure you have all your documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
Last updated: 1 April 2022