If you want to apply for a licence to catch and release reptiles, you'll need to be able to satisfy the Office of Environment & Heritage (OEH) that you're suitably qualified.

A licence allows handlers to legally catch and release reptiles (usually snakes) from commercial and residential homes and backyards.

For more information on catching and releasing reptiles, please visit OEH.


  • Anyone aged 18 or over, who can satisfy the OEH that they're suitably qualified to handle reptiles, including dangerous venomous snakes.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • details of any licences you've previously held under the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 or the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974
  • details of your experience including relevant certificates
  • reason why you should be provided with a licence
  • description of the area in which you'd provide your services
  • documentation to attest you've completed a reptile handling course, and that you've had at least 2 years experience in the care and/or handling of dangerous venomous snakes
  • current first aid certificate
  • public liability insurance
  • 2 written references from people who can attest you have the ability, knowledge and experience to handle reptiles, including venomous species
  • the PDF form – 'Licence to catch and release reptiles'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence to catch and release reptiles – PDF.
  2. Gather your supporting documentation.
  3. Post or email your application to the details on the form.

More information

  • If you have an authority under a licensed wildlife rehabilitation group, you may already be covered by the group's insurance.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.