Text size


If you're wanting to supervise or do building work worth more than $10,000 on your home, and you're not contracting a licensed builder to supervise the work, you'll need an Owner-Builder Permit.

Before you apply, familiarise yourself with the information provided on Becoming an owner-builder to avoid delays in processing your application.

You can apply for an Owner-Builder Permit:


To be eligible to apply for an Owner-Builder Permit:

  • you're aged 18 years or over
  • you're the owner or joint owner of the land, or a shareholder in the company that owns the land, or
  • you have a lease, registered with NSW Land Registry Services, for more than 3 years on the land
  • the building work has not been started
  • the property is not part of a multi-dwelling strata complex
  • you'll live in the property after the building work is complete
  • you have completed the Owner-Builder approved education requirements or other equivalent accreditation if the cost of building work is $20,000 or more, and can attach a copy of your completed accreditation
  • you have and can attach a copy of:
    • your proof of ownership documents
    • your current general construction induction training card (white card)
    • an approved Council Development Application (DA) and/or an approved Complying Development Certificate (CDC)
    • the site plan and the measured floor plan documents for development (if the property is a secondary dwelling).

In some cases, you'll need to show that there are special circumstances that justify your application. Please visit a service centre to complete your application in person if:

  • you or any other registered parties have held an Owner-Builder Permit within the last 5 years, and/or
  • the type of construction is dual occupancy.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • 3 current Australian identity documents, such as driver licence, passport, Medicare card
  • acceptable documentation showing proof of ownership or long-term lease agreement relating to the land specified in your application, such as:
    • council rates or water rates notice less than one year old
    • Certificate of Title from NSW Land Registry Services
    • solicitor settlement letter showing settlement date (cannot be future dated and must be less than 3 months old)
    • ASIC company extract
    • copy of the lease (minimum 3 years) registered with NSW Land Registry Services.
  • estimated cost of the building work for labour and materials
  • details of the proposed plans
  • copy of approved development consent such as:
  • a current general construction induction training card (white card)
  • evidence that you've completed the Owner-Builder approved education requirements or other equivalent accreditation if the value of work exceeds $20,000
  • access to a scanner, printer, and PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • your payment.

How to apply

To apply online:

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Answer the eligibility questions.
  3. If you're eligible, select the type of application based on who owns the land.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Complete each section of the application. You'll be asked to:
    • verify your Australian identity documents
    • provide details of the proposed building work
    • enter details of registered parties of the land
    • download the documents that are generated based on your responses
    • if relevant, get documents signed by each registered party
    • scan and attach the signed documents and other required documents
    • read and accept declaration statements
    • enter your payment details.

To learn more, view the video about applying online for an Owner-Builder Permit.

To apply in person:

  1. Download and complete the relevant application form.
  2. Gather the documents you need and book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.

More information

If the proof of ownership document lists more than one owner/registered party:

  • all owners/registered parties must be entered in the online application
  • if the Joint Ownership Permission form is supplied during the online application, all joint owners/registered parties must complete and sign all pages.

It is an offence under the Home Building Act 1989 (maximum penalty $22,000) for the holder of an Owner-Builder Permit to:

  • knowingly engage an unlicensed contractor
  • lend their permit to another person
  • refuse to disclose to an authorised officer the names and addresses of contractors working on the site.

An owner-builder is also responsible for:

  • overseeing and supervising all tradespeople
  • the ordering of materials and the management of the building site
  • obtaining all necessary council and authority approvals
  • ensuring that the financial, taxation and insurance requirements of the building work are met and fully comply with all laws
  • being aware of your obligations under the Workers Compensation Act 1987 and Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000, and providing a safe work environment that complies with SafeWork NSW requirements
  • ensuring any contractor engaged is appropriately licensed and insured to do the work contracted for
  • guaranteeing that the work and materials will be fit for the purpose, and that the work results in a dwelling fit for occupation.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 24 October 2022