Text size


If you want to operate as a partnership that contracts, sub-contracts and/or advertises to carry out residential building or trade work, you'll need a contractor licence. A partnership is usually 2 or more people who are the legal entity behind the licence.

Your application will need to include a nominated supervisor, who must be a partner or employee of the business and hold an individual contractor licence or qualified supervisor licence.

If you have an Australian Business Number (ABN) you can apply for the licence online.

If you don't have an ABN, please book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.


The nominated supervisor must be either a full-time employee or a partner, and hold a current contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate in the related category of work.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • a current Australian identity document, such as driver licence, passport, Medicare card, to verify your identity documents
  • the partnership's ABN
  • contractor licence number if the partnership has a current or expired licence
  • nominated supervisor details, including licence or certificate number, for each category of work being applied for
  • access to a scanner, printer, and PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • your payment.

How to apply

To apply online:

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  3. Complete each section of the application. You'll be asked to:
  • verify your Australian identity document
  • enter the ABN
  • enter an existing contractor licence number (if applicable)
  • answer some questions related to your personal financial and criminal history
  • select the categories of work to be carried out and provide the nominated supervisor's licence or certificate number
  • download the documents that are generated based on your responses
  • get the documents signed by the relevant party
  • scan and attach the signed documents and other required documents
  • read and accept declaration statements
  • enter your payment details.

To apply in person:

  1. Download, print and complete the Applicant's checklist for a company or partnership – PDF.
  2. Download, print and complete the Application Form – Company or Partnership – PDF.
  3. Gather the required supporting documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application. You can book an appointment to submit your application at a service centre.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 13 December 2022