Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

COVID-19 information

As part of the NSW Government’s economic stimulus package, licence fees have been waived on new applications and renewals lodged between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021.


An on-premises licence allows you to sell alcohol together with another product or service that is sold, supplied or provided to patrons.

Some common activities and venues for this kind of licence include: restaurant, cafe, cinema, karaoke bar, sport facility, art gallery, music venue, retirement village, cruise ship, tourism business or commercial caterer.


You must be:

  • at least 18 years old
  • applying for a premises that's not in a licence freeze precinct (the Sydney CBD Entertainment precinct and the Kings Cross precinct).

An on-premises licence is available in the following classes:

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Liquor & Gaming NSW.

What you need

  • a OneGov account
  • a floor plan showing the boundaries proposed for the licensed area
  • details of the premises owner
  • contact details for you or another authorised person
  • your requested liquor trading hours
  • a copy of your development approval or consent (if applicable)
  • completed applicant declaration – PDF (if applicable)
  • Community Impact Statement (CIS) (if applicable)
  • a copy of the Site Notice prominently displayed at the proposed licenced premises until you hear the outcome of your application
  • a copy of the Site Notice provided to the occupiers of any building or land within the prescribed distance of the proposed premises
  • your payment.

If you're applying as an individual, you'll also need to provide:

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • a current National Police Certificate issued within the last 3 months
  • the 3 identity documents you used when applying for the National Police Certificate.

If you're applying as an organisation, you'll also need to provide:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • details of an appointment of manager notice.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Ensure you've gathered all the required documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Register or sign in to OneGov.
  5. Complete the online application form.
  6. Upload and attach your supporting documents.
  7. Enter your payment details.
  8. Read and confirm the declaration.
  9. Submit your application.
  10. Display and circulate your Public Consultation – Site Notice as prescribed.

More information

  • You must complete the Community Impact Statement and any development consent or approvals (if required), before you apply for the liquor licence.
  • Once your licence is issued, the conditions on your individual licence will tell you how you can sell or supply alcohol. Generally, the following conditions apply, but you can apply to change them:
    • you can only sell alcohol during standard trading hours (5:00am to midnight Monday to Friday, 10:00am to 10:00pm Sunday, with some restrictions on public holidays)
    • you can only sell alcohol that will be consumed on the premises (that is, no takeaway or carry-out)
    • you must always make food and free drinking water available
    • if your business activity changes (for example, if you stop selling food), your licence will no longer have effect
    • you must always comply with liquor laws and licence requirements.
You'll be taken to another website.