COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


To ensure apartments are being built to the required standard and to help in restoring consumer confidence, new legislation has been introduced in the construction industry.

Professional engineers who work on class 2 buildings or buildings with a class 2 part, in any of the following areas, now need to be registered.

There are 6 classes of registration for professional engineers: 

  • civil 
  • electrical 
  • geotechnical 
  • mechanical 
  • structural  
  • fire safety.

Registration is for 1, 3 or 5 years. Fees are applicable.

Note: If eligible, you can also apply for 2 other registration types in the same digital application:

  • design practitioner – if you’ll make design compliance declarations and/or lodge documents on the NSW Planning Portal
  • principal design practitioner – if you’ll coordinate and lodge designs by other design practitioners for the building practitioner.

If you’re already registered in another Australian state/territory or in New Zealand, you can apply to have your registration recognised under mutual recognition provisions


To be eligible to apply, you need to:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • meet the criteria regarding qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience for the registration classes you’re wanting to apply for
  • have a current National Police Certificate that is valid for 4 months when you submit your application (Name and Date of Birth Check only)
  • meet insurance requirements as required.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • proof of identity such as an Australian driver licence, passport or Medicare card
  • your National Police Check certificate that is valid for 4 months when you submit your application (Name and Date of Birth Check only)
  • copies of your:
    • degree, postgraduate degree, diploma or National Vocational Education and Training Regulator (NVR) course certificates and/or transcripts
    • membership of accrediting bodies and/or letters of authorisation from recognised accrediting bodies.
  • your contact details
  • a current credit card for payment.

How to apply

You can save your progress in the application and return later.

  1. Check the eligibility criteria for the registration types and classes you want to apply for.
  2. Gather your certificates and other required documents.
  3. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  4. Log in or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Select and verify your 2 identity documents.
  6. Select the registration type(s) and class(es) you’re applying for.
  7. Select the duration of your registration.
  8. Answer all questions in the digital form, including those on your suitability to perform the work and your background.
  9. Upload your supporting documents.
  10. Review your answers and give consent to process your application.
  11. Enter your payment details.
  12. Select ‘Submit’.
    • Note: this must be done within 60 days of starting your application.

More information

If you apply for registration on or before 31 December 2021, you’ll receive a ‘deemed’ registration ID. This means:

  • you can keep working while NSW Fair Trading assesses your application
  • NSW Fair Trading will contact you if more information is needed
  • If your application is successful, your registration ID will stay the same.

If you apply after on or after 1 January 2022, you'll:

  • need to stop doing professional engineering work while NSW Fair Trading assesses your application and approves your registration
  • be notified about the result of your application within 28 days of submitting it (unless placed on hold, pending further information).