Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


To upgrade to a provisional rider licence, you'll need to have held a learner rider licence for a minimum of 3 months.

If there's no motorcycle training centre in your local area, instead of attending the pre-provisional training course, you'll need to pass a kerbside motorcycle test. After passing the test, you can apply in person at your local service centre for your provisional rider licence.

When you visit the service centre, you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.


  • you must have held a learner rider licence for a minimum of 3 months.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Transport for NSW.

What you need

  • your learner rider licence as proof of identity
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • a current concession card (if applicable)
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure that you have all the necessary documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and lodge your application.

More information

  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date. This means you have plenty of time to plan ahead and renew early.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • If you live in an undeclared area, we encourage you to attend a rider training course to help build your riding skills.
  • Further information about centralised printing is available on the Transport for NSW website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.