An incorporated association is a legal entity in its own right. This means the members are protected against any claims made against the association such as debts, or compensation for negligence. If you wish to register an incorporated association, you can lodge your application via mail or email, or in person at a service centre.
- An incorporated association must have at least 5 members in order to be registered.
- The application form needs to be completed by the person appointed as the first public officer of the proposed association.
- If you need any specific assistance, please call Registry Services on 1800 502 042
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit NSW Fair Trading – About associations
What you need
- 3 proposed names for the association
- details of the association
- a copy of the association constitution (if not adopting the model constitution)
- a copy of the special resolution (if applicable)
- the PDF form – 'Application for registration of an incorporated association (Form A2)'.
How to apply
- Download, print and complete the Application for registration of an incorporated association – PDF
- Make sure you have all the required documentation.
- Submit your application with payment either in person at a service centre, or by mail or email to the details on the form.
- An association must establish a committee to manage its affairs.
- The committee must include 3 or more members over 18 years of age, and at least 3 of whom reside in Australia.
- An association must have a public officer who is over 18 and resides in NSW.
- The public officer may or may not be a member of the committee.
- An association should only be engaged in small-scale, non-profit and non-commercial activities.
- An association's members may only receive legitimate payments for service from the association.