Back to top

Apply to register recognised details (Change of sex certificate for people born overseas)

If you were born overseas but now live in NSW, and you've undergone a sex affirmation procedure, you can apply for a recognised details certificate which will record your new sex and current name. You can do this in person at a service centre, or by mail.

Find a service centre
  • the Recognised Details Certificate Application – PDF form
  • your current personal and contact details
  • your personal details as registered at birth
  • the application completed by yourself and witnessed by an authorised witness
  • 2 statutory declarations completed by two medical practitioners and witnessed by an authorised witness
  • 4 certified forms of your identification, including Photo ID
  • your payment.
Find a service centre
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download, print and complete the Recognised Details Certificate Application – PDF.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and lodge your information in person, or mail it to:
    Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
    GPO Box 30
    Sydney NSW 2001
Find a service centre

To register a change of sex, you need to be aged 18 years or older, or the parent/s of a child or the guardian of a child:

  • whose birth is not registered in Australia
  • who is an Australian Citizen or permanent resident of Australia
  • who lives in NSW, and has lived in NSW for at least 1 year
  • who has undergone a sex affirmation procedure.
Find a service centre
  • Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
  • Check the turnaround times via the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages website.
  • turnaround times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
  • Documents provided as proof of identity may have their authenticity verified through the online Certificate Validation Service (CertValid) and the National Document Verification Service (DVS).

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Find a service centre

Payment methods

For online transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, UnionPay, Diners Club or American Express).

For phone transactions:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: