The NSW Relationship register provides legal recognition for de facto partners.

If your relationship is on the register and you want it removed, you can lodge an application by mail, or in person at a service centre.


  • Only the parties to a registered relationship can apply to revoke that relationship.
  • One or both of the parties may apply. If only one of the parties is making the application they must serve notice of the application on the other party, and lodge proof of that service.
  • Both or either parties to the revocation application may apply to withdraw the application within 90 days of the application being made.

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • the PDF form – 'Service of Revocation Statement'
  • 3 certified personal identity documents as specified on the form
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Download and complete Service of Revocation Statement – PDF.
  3. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  4. Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or post it to:
    Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
    GPO Box 30
    Sydney NSW 2001

More information

  • The Registrar cannot revoke the registration until 90 days after a revocation application has been lodged.
  • The registration of a relationship is automatically revoked by the death or marriage of a party to the relationship.
  • A court may make an order declaring the registration of a relationship void.
  • Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
  • Processing times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
  • If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
  • Documents provided as proof of identity may have their authenticity verified through the online Certificate Validation Service (CertValid) and the National Document Verification Service (DVS).

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.