Registered surveyors are legally authorised to perform land surveying, and sign off on projects.

To register as a land surveyor (also known as a cadastral surveyor) in NSW, you will need to demonstrate that you are competent in engineering, planning and all laws relating to the subdivision of land. 

Check the Pathway to registration – land surveyor page on the Board of Surveying and Spatial Information (BOSSI) website to learn more about registration. 

Once registered, you'll need to renew your registration annually. 

Working in NSW with an interstate licence

Under the Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) scheme, holders of certain interstate licences can work automatically in NSW but must notify the licence regulator of their intention to work.


To be eligible, you must:

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account (you can create one when you start your application) or your OneGov account
  • proof of eligibility
  • proof of identity
  • a passport quality photo in JPG format
  • a credit/debit card to pay the registration fee.

Note: Documents must be certified, in English and in PDF format.   

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your supporting documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Select 'Next' on the application screen.
  5. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account, or log in using your OneGov credentials.
  6. Follow the prompts to proceed to payment.

Contact BOSSI for all application enquiries.