Text size


If you don’t think you should pay your overdue fine and would like to challenge it, you can apply to have the fine heard in court. You'll need to explain how you were hindered from acting on the original fine before it became overdue and supply supporting evidence, such as medical or travel documents.

You'll need to pay a non-refundable fee to lodge your application. The fee may be waived if you can prove you:

  • are receiving Centrelink payments
  • are experiencing homelessness, or
  • have a particular disability. 


You need to:

  • have not appeared previously in court to dispute the fine
  • be able to prove that you were unable to pay the original fine and overdue fine by the due dates
  • be able to support your reason for disputing the offence.

What you need

  • the fine notice number
  • your driver licence number
  • your email address, phone number and date of birth
  • your residential address (PO boxes are not accepted) to post your Court Attendance Notice (CAN)
  • scanned copies of your supporting documents
  • your payment (unless you're applying for a fee waiver).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your supporting documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete and submit your application.
  5. Send your supporting documents via post to:
    Revenue NSW
    PO Box 786
    Strawberry Hills NSW 2012 

Note: You can also apply by completing a PDF form or putting your request in writing.

More information

  • Your application may take up to 6 weeks to assess from the date you submit it.
  • Once you've received your CAN, it's too late to withdraw from attending court. If you've changed your mind, contact the court listed in your CAN and ask them about your options.
  • In preparation for your court date, you may wish to review the court process, or get free legal information and referral services from LawAccess NSW.
Last updated: 30 January 2023
You'll be taken to another website.