If you're facing serious financial and medical or domestic problems, you can apply to get your overdue fine written-off.

If you're eligible to have your overdue fine written-off, you will not have to pay some or all of your fine but any demerit points (if applicable) will still be applied.

You'll need to show that you cannot pay now and are unlikely to be able to pay in the future.

You should not apply to have your overdue fine written-off if you have substantial assets, savings or investments that can be used for payment.


You need to:

What you need

  • your driver licence (if applicable)
  • your overdue fine number (or numbers, if you're applying for more than one)
  • a letter from you describing your financial situation and why you think it will not improve
  • copies of supporting documents that show your financial circumstances for the last 3 months, such as proof of income, payslips, list of assets, Centrelink statements, bank statements, bills and expenses
  • a letter or report from a doctor, hospital or health care worker outlining your medical circumstances (if applicable)
  • a report from a case worker, social worker or other professional confirming domestic problems (if applicable)
  • police reports or court document to confirm your situation (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your supporting documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Follow the prompts to complete your application.

More information

  • Include all the information and supporting documents requested, or your application may be refused. If you need help, you can ask a family member, your solicitor/legal advisor or your community welfare officer to apply on your behalf.
  • If some or all of your overdue fine is written-off, Revenue NSW will not take any recovery action for 5 years. You must not receive any further overdue notices within this 5-year period. If you do, the write off decision may be reversed and you'll need to pay all overdue fines. 
  • If your application is unsuccessful, you can appeal the decision through the Hardship Review Board.
Last updated: 16 April 2024