The NSW relationship register provides legal recognition for de facto partners.

If your relationship is on the register and you want it removed, you can lodge an application by mail, or in person at a Service NSW Centre.

Note: If the parties currently in a registered relationship get married to each other, then the marriage supersedes the relationship. In this instance, the relationship does not need to be revoked.


  • Only the parties to a registered relationship can apply to revoke the relationship.
  • One or both of the parties may apply. If only one of the parties is making the application, they must serve notice of the application on the other party, and lodge proof of the notice.
  • One or both may apply to withdraw the application within 90 days of making the application. 

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • the PDF form – 'Revoke a registered relationship', which includes the following pages:
    • a Service of Revocation Statement
    • a statutory declaration revoking a registered relationship by yourself
    • a statutory declaration revoking a registered relationship together
  • 4 certified copies of personal identity documents as specified on the form
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  3. Complete the relevant pages of the form.
  4. Deliver, post or email a copy of your Service of Revocation Statement to the other registered person in the relationship (if applicable).
  5. Visit a service centre and lodge your application in person, or post it to the address on the form.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

More information

  • Certified copies must be verified as true and correct copies of the originals by one of the following:
    • Justice of the Peace (JP)
    • notary public
    • legal practitioner holding a current practising certificate
    • a person authorised to administer an oath under Section 26 of the Oaths Act 1900.
  • A non-refundable fee is payable when you submit your application. You can also order a certificate which confirms the relationship is revoked.
  • Certificates are sent via registered post. They cannot be collected at a service centre.
  • If one party of a registered relationship wishes to enter into a new relationship with another person, they will first need to revoke their previous relationship.
  • A cooling-off period of 90 days applies before the registration is revoked by the Registrar. 
  • The registration of a relationship is automatically revoked by the death of a party to the relationship or on the marriage of a person in the relationship.
  • A court may make an order declaring the registration of a relationship void.
Last updated: 15 January 2024