Trader's plates allow a motor business to drive an unregistered vehicle for purposes that are incidental to the manufacture, repair, or dealings of the vehicle, such as test driving, or moving a vehicle from one dealership to another.
Businesses issued with trader's plates include:
- motor dealers
- manufacturers and repairers
- organisations directly connected to the motor trade.
To apply for trader's plates, visit a service centre.
What you'll need
- your proof of identity
- your business details
- evidence of registration under business name (if applicable)
- a copy of your motor industry licence
- a copy or extract of your certificate of business registration or company name, ABN certificate
- a detailed description on company letterhead of your business activities and the reasons why you need trader's plates
- to nominate the service centre where you'll collect the plates
- your payment
- the PDF form – 'Trader's Plate Application'.
How to apply
- Download and complete the Trader's Plate Application – PDF.
- Make sure you have all your supporting documentation.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.