Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

Online service maintenance

Due to planned maintenance, some online transactions will be unavailable from 5pm Saturday 28 November to 8am Sunday 29 November. We apologise for any inconvenience.

COVID-19 information

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NSW Government has introduced temporary changes to the Child Protection (Working With Children) Regulation 2013. The changes will be in place until 22 October 2020.

New authorised carers who are self-isolating or minimising travel and contact with others will not be required to visit a Service NSW Centre to prove their identity when apply for a Working with Children Check (WWCC).

Authorised carers and adult members of carers’ households will have the option of providing certified copies of their proof of identity (POI) documents to their designated agency (foster care agency) during the application process. The Principal Officer of the designated agency will then forward the POI documents to the Children’s Guardian.

Note: The alternative POI process does not apply to direct care staff and contractors.

Visit COVID-19 changes to WWCC POI requirements for more information.


The Working With Children Check (WWCC) is a requirement for anyone who works or volunteers in child-related work in NSW. It involves a National Police Check (criminal history record check) and a review of reportable workplace misconduct. 

The outcome of a check is either a clearance to work with children or a bar against working with children. If cleared, the check will be valid for 5 years, however applicants are continuously monitored. 

If you're applying because you're a paid employee or self-employed, there's a fee for the WWCC. If you're a volunteer, a student on a professional placement, potential adoptive parents or an authorised carer, you won't need to pay the fee. 

You can apply online for your WWCC.


  • anyone aged 18 or older
  • anyone whose role involves direct physical or face-to-face contact with children.

What you need

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Select 'Apply for your Check'.
  3. Select 'Continue and apply'.
  4. Complete the online form ensuring the name you enter matches your identity document exactly.
  5. Visit a service centre to present your original identity document and (if applicable) pay the fee.

More information

  • You don't need a WWCC if you're a parent or close relative of a child, volunteering:
    • at the child's school, early education service or other educational institution, or
    • with a team, program or activity that your child usually participates in or is a team member of.
  • You're also exempt if your work is considered non-child related, such as:
    • a student working in a clinical placement in a hospital or other health service
    • a referee, umpire, linesperson or other sporting official or groundsperson, if the work doesn't ordinarily involve contact with children for extended periods without other adults present
    • providing food or equipment at a sporting, cultural or other entertainment venue.
You'll be taken to another website.