With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


If you've moved from the ACT to NSW and transferred your vehicle registration, you can cancel the ACT vehicle registration via post, fax or email.

What you need

  • the PDF form – 'Application to Cancel Vehicle Registration'
  • a photocopy of the:
    • registered operator's driver licence issued in Australia (current or expired up to 2 years)
    • receipt for the surrender of the number plates
    • NSW registration certificate (if available).
  • a statutory declaration if the plates have been destroyed, lost or stolen, and were not surrendered (if applicable)
  • an Authority to Act as an Agent form (if applicable)
  • the agent's proof of identity (if applicable).

How to cancel

  1. Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
  2. Print and complete the form.
  3. Attach any supporting documentation.
  4. Using the contact details listed on the form, submit your information by fax, email or post.

More information

  • The vehicle's registration cancellation date will be backdated to the date the ACT number plates were surrendered to the interstate authorities.
You'll be taken to another website.